Publish Date: April 6, 2018
NSS Labs’ test reports are designed to address the challenges faced by enterprise security and IT professionals in NSS Labs test reports are designed to address the challenges faced by enterprise security and IT professionals in selecting and managing security products. The scope of this methodology includes:
- Security effectiveness
- Stability and reliability
- Total cost of ownership (TCO)
As SD-WAN technology is expected to provide and manage the remote links connecting a site with either headquarter locations or the public Internet, its stability and reliability is imperative. Therefore, regardless of any security capabilities, the main requirement of any SD-WAN is that it must be as stable, as reliable, as fast, and as flexible as the edge device that it is replacing.
The following capabilities are considered essential in an SD-WAN:
- Traditional “first-generation firewall” features, including:
- Basic application identification and policy controls
- Stateful firewall controls
- Virtual private network (VPN)
- Highly resilient remote office connectivity
- Prioritization of critical applications
- A consistent or improved performance experience for users
This methodology describes how NSS will evaluate SD-WAN products to provide an objective and fair assessment of the technology.