Web Application Firewall (WAF) Comparative Report: TCO
Thomas Skybakmoen, Morgan Dhanraj
NSS Labs defines web application firewalls (WAFs) as network-based products designed to alter, monitor, and block HTTP, HTTPS, and HTTP/2 conversation from web applications and protect against web-based attacks.
This report focuses on the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) per Protected Connections per Second (CPS). NSS’ cost analysis includes a 3-Year TCO, which is based on:
- Acquisition costs for WAF devices and/or agents, and central management systems (CMS)
- Fees paid to the vendor for annual maintenance, support, and signature updates
- Labor costs for installation, maintenance, and upkeep ?
The following products were evaluated:
- Citrix NetScaler Web Application Firewall (AppFirewall) MPX 5910 v126.96.36.1996
- F5 BIG-IP 10050S Application Security Manager (ASM) v188.8.131.52.0.184
- Fortinet FortiWeb-3000E v5.5.5
- Radware AppWall 1008 v7.3.4
- Symantec Blue Coat ProxySG v184.108.40.206
To learn how each vendor performed, download a copy of each individual Test Report. NSS clients can also download the WAF Comparative Reports on Security, Performance, and Security Value Map™ (SVM).
As with all NSS Labs group tests, there was no fee for participation. In addition, the test methodology applied is in the public domain to provide transparency and to help enterprises understand the results.