WEB APPLICATION FIREWALL (WAF) COMPARATIVE REPORT: Security
Thomas Skybakmoen, Morgan Dhanraj
NSS Labs defines web application firewalls (WAFs) as network-based products designed to alter, monitor, and block HTTP, HTTPS, and HTTP/2 conversation from web applications and protect against web-based attacks.
This report uses data from NSS’ individual WAF Test Reports to create Security Effectiveness ratings for each vendor. Products are scored on multiple factors that affect the overall Security Effectiveness of the system, including:
- Defensive capabilities in deployment use cases (block rate)
- Anti-evasion capabilities (resistance to common evasion techniques)
- Device stability and reliability ?
The following products were evaluated:
- Citrix NetScaler Web Application Firewall (AppFirewall) MPX 5910 v220.127.116.116
- F5 BIG-IP 10050S Application Security Manager (ASM) v18.104.22.168.0.184
- Fortinet FortiWeb-3000E v5.5.5
- Radware AppWall 1008 v7.3.4
- Symantec Blue Coat ProxySG v22.214.171.124
To learn how each vendor performed, download a copy of each individual Test Report. NSS clients can also download the WAF Comparative Reports on Security Value Map™ (SVM), Performance, and Total Cost of Ownership.
As with all NSS Labs group tests, there was no fee for participation. In addition, the test methodology applied is in the public domain to provide transparency and to help enterprises understand the results.